01 02 03 Crunchologie: Frozen Sunshine 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Frozen Sunshine

34
Today’s recipe is inspired by one of my favorite authors, Gene Stratton-Porter.  You might be familiar with two of her books that have been re-published and are easy to find: Freckles and Girl Of The Limberlost.  Her books are wholesome, beautiful, quality literature.  When I first discovered them, I couldn’t get enough.  I hunted down as many of her books as I could find.  It took me lots of time and hard earned babysitting money.  I still re-read all her books about once a year.  And I still love them.  They have been re-published now and won’t be nearly as hard for you to find. 



Gene Stratton Porter wrote many excellent books, but today I am pulling from her book, The Harvester. 
           
“ From the jug he poured a combination that he made of the juices of oranges, pineapples, and lemons.  He set the glass, rapidly frosting in the heat, and the fruit before the Girl.

“Now!” he said. 

For one instant she stared at the table.  Then she looked at him.  In the depths of her dark eyes was an appeal he never forgot. 

“I made that drink myself, so it’s alright,” he assured her.  “There’s a pretty stiff touch of pineapple in it.  It cuts the cobwebs on a hot day.  Please try it!”

…. “I suppose this is what they have in Heaven.”

“No, it’s what they drink all over earth at present, but I have a conceit of my own brand.  Some of it is too strong of one fruit or of the other; all too sweet for health.  This is compounded scientifically, so it’s just right.  If you are not accustomed to cold drinks, go slowly.”

“You can’t scare me,” said the Girl; “I am going to drink all I want.”

-       The Harvester, pgs 182 and 186







While I don’t have the Harvester’s scientific recipe, I do have pineapples, oranges, lemons and a love of literature.  I could not resist this description so I pulled out my juicer. 

I actually ended up freezing mine, letting it thaw a touch and then throwing it into my blender.  It was exquisite.  It was icy, sweet, sour and beautiful.  It was like drinking frozen sunshine on this muggy, warm day.  It cut the cobwebs, for sure. 



I hope you like it as much as I do!  I also hope you get a chance to read some of Stratton-Porter’s lovely work. 

Frozen Sunshine
1 Pineapple
3 lemons
4-5 oranges

Run all the fruit through your juicer and place in pitcher.  Chill or freeze, as desired. 

Enjoy!

I know my tiny helper sure did! 



Extra Tips: 
These delicious fruits are packed with vitamin C.  Pineapple also contains Bromelain, which can help reduce inflammation and manganese, which helps build bones and connective tissues. Pineapple also MAY help with morning sickness.  Lemons have antibacterial properties, citric acid which can dissolve kidney stones, calcium deposits and gallstones. Lemon is also great for your liver.  Oranges are also vitamin bombs as well, containing vitamin B-6, folate, copper, phosphorous, magnesium, manganese, thiamin and riboflavin. 


Lastly, this is a juice, which has a lot more sugar (even though it is natural), so drink in moderation.   







35 36 37 38