01 02 03 Crunchologie: Rehydrating Lemonade 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Rehydrating Lemonade

34
People.  It is SO hot here. I took my boy to the park this week and the sun and humidity were oppressive.  I am pretty sure it is about to rain because everything felt so heavy.  However, just because I am not a summer person doesn’t mean I can just hide inside.  Little people need to run around and get energy out.  So I did it.  We loaded up the stroller and headed to the park.  We played, had a snack, and drank lots of water.  By the time we got home we were still pretty hot and I knew that both of us needed to re-hydrate.  I also knew that my opinionated two year old wouldn’t be impressed with just any drink – so I made some lemonade.  J





6 cups of water
1 pinch sea salt
Juice of 2-3 lemons
2 Tablespoons honey (I use raw)
1 Tablespoon coconut sugar

Mix together and enjoy! You may add more sweetener if desired.

I didn’t want a super strong honey taste that day, so I put in a little coconut sugar. Coconut sugar does have some minerals in it and also is lower on the glycemic index so it won’t spike your blood sugar like white sugar will.  It did make my lemonade a darker color – as you can see in the pictures.  You can just use honey or real maple syrup if you like, as well!  Any of those are great options!

You might also be wondering – why salt?  Your body needs both salt and sugar to re-hydrate and replace and balance those electrolytes that you sweat out. Be sure to use good, mineral-packed salt like Himalayan pink salt or Celtic seasalt. 


And finally – lemons.  Did you know that acidic flavors stimulate your salivary glands and make you feel more hydrated sooner?  Cool, huh?  Plus, fresh, tart , ice-cold lemonade on a hot summer’s day, is just…well…perfect.  


35 36 37 38